First Week of 2015!

2015 is just about a week old and there've already been many opportunities for photos. It's been a great start to the year. I don't consider myself a meteorologist, but I've been following the weather patterns and surf reports. It's definitely helped me be in the right place at the right time!

I didn't wake up (or stay up for that matter) to watch the first sunrise of the new year. But I did photograph the second sunrise of the new year. It was a pretty special morning. The light reflecting off the clouds before the sun popped over the horizon was really amazing. And my new camera has the ability to pick up colors and textures at lower lights that my old camera just couldn't develop. I don't think having a better camera makes you a better photographer, but it will help make a good shot even better. 



Warm air moved through the area over the weekend accompanying some rain and wind. This generated the first swell of the year for surfers. Maybe it's because I haven't spent much time down the shore during the winter, but I've never seen the water this crowded if it wasn't a summer day. I snapped a couple shots from the jetty to capture the sheer quantity of surfers in the water. 


In order to get this perspective, I had to go all the way out to the end of the jetty to the concrete jacks, as I like to call them. I've gotten to know a lot of the folks that surf here in Manasquan, so I'm usually able to pick out folks in the water. But with everybody wearing full wetsuits, hoods, gloves, and boots, it's hard to pick anybody out unless you know what their board looks like. I had no idea who I was shooting. However, I shared this image with Jersey Shore Hurricane News on Facebook. They shared it on their facebook page and instagram accounts. I don't know how, but the surfer riding this wave saw the image on instagram and tracked me down to tell me it was him! The rider is Andrew Lawler of Ocean County. 


Due to a series of unfortunate or fortunate events, depending on how you want to look at it, I was up super early the following day and managed to make it to the inlet for some more sunrise photos. This may be the most beautiful sunrise I've had the privilege of photographing since I've been down the shore. And maybe the coldest so far. 


Winter has surely grabbed a hold of New Jersey as the first measurable snow fell this week. Temps today are maxing out in the mid-20's and will do the same tomorrow. I'm not a big cold weather person. I tend to do best in the warmth of summer. So getting out to find the beauty in all this cold and darkness is very important for my sanity :-)


That just about sums up my week in photographs.  Thanks for reading and stay posted for more fun things to come in 2015! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Manasquan Sunrises

April Update

Chris and Caitlyn - The Wedding