Emerging from the Winter Blues

This has been one of the more brutal winters that I can remember. Yes, it's been bitterly cold. There've been storms that go from snow to rain, or rain to snow, and just about everything in between. Growing up in the Northeast, you come to accept the realities of winter, but that doesn't make it any easier. Sometimes I can feel grateful that at least I don't live someplace colder with more snow. However, when I'm scraping the ice off my windshield with a subzero windchill stinging my face, it sucks.

This winter has presented some interesting challenges for me in my life which made this past February especially tough. About a month ago, I accepted a new job. This process is never easy; new people, new rules, new information. And in the midst of all this, my trusty Hyundai Sonata decided it too had had enough of the winter. Several weeks ago, my front calipers had to be replaced. Not one week later, my alternator died on the way to work. At this point my wife and I decided it was probably time to start looking for a new car.

In the meantime, the wifey and I have been sharing her car while we decide what we're going to do. It's been challenging, but in a way it's been really good for us. We're normally on very different schedules so we tend to miss each other at home, or be sleeping when the other is leaving to or returning from work. Having to drop each other off at our respective jobs has given us time to talk and laugh together.

This winter, photography has taken a different kind of importance for me. I recently read a blog post by local Jersey Shore surfer and blogger, Shawn Zappo, about continuing to surf through the winter despite the literally freezing water and air temperatures (You can read the blog post HERE). He describes the passion and dedication it takes to continue to do something you love in conditions that are completely unbearable to most people.



This is one of the first winters where I can say that I've consistently been able to get out and photograph despite the bitter elements and personal challenges and changes that have been going on. I've come to realize that photography for me has become more than a hobby. It's a passion. It's a release. It's therapy. It's connection. It's a necessity.

I experienced cold on a whole new level. I've felt windchills that literally made my body feel like it was going to shut down. I've questioned my sanity at times. I've had to wrap my camera in plastic and constantly wipe the melting snow of my lens and displays. I've had to put on more layers than I ever thought I would wear. While it seemed dismal at times, it led to some of my best photography work yet.







While other things during this dark and cold February may have fallen by the wayside, like running and exercise, photography has remained constant. I've met some amazingly dedicated people over the winter here that have inspired and motivated me. I'm really excited for the spring and summer months as I have some exciting things on the horizon.

For now, I can appreciate the time I spent out in this seemingly endless winter, yet be grateful that it finally seems to be coming to an end.

To see more of my winter photos, click HERE.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Update

Danae's Boyd Park Shoot

First Week of 2015!