Winter Storm Helena Swell | New Jersey Surf Photography

Two surf blog posts in a row? I know right. Well sometimes mother nature serves up the goods and you just happen to be in the right place at the right time...

For about two weeks during and after the holidays and new years, I didn't even pick up a camera. I needed some time to relax and decompress from a pretty intense and stressful holiday season. So after NYE, I basically hibernated for a week and banged out The OA and a bunch of comedy specials on Netflix.

After my week rest and relaxation, I was itching to get back out and take some photos.

Over the weekend the Northeast was pounded by a pretty decent snowstorm. The storm was not just notable because of the snow, but also the COLD. At it's warmest, temps climbed into the low 20's on Saturday.

And on Sunday morning after the snow cleared and I was putting on layer after layer before heading out into the winter abyss, it was 10 degrees.

The night before I try to wake up for a sunrise, I set my alarm with apprehension. Sometimes my alarm goes off and I can't help but hit snooze 12 times. But sometimes, it goes off and I am seemingly already awake. Sunday morning was one of those mornings.

Walking onto a snowy beach in temperatures that cold is what I imagine walking on the moon to be like. It's hard to believe these beaches are the same ones that are flooded with people during the summer months. And it's hard to imagine ever feeling warm standing there with a 10-15mph wind making the temperature feel like it's below freezing.

Below is a little sampling of the images I captured Sunday morning in one of the most brutally cold winter surfing sessions I've ever photographed.

In the pre-dawn light, Jude Clark running to the water. 

Pre-dawn A-frames. 

As seen in Eastern Surf Magazine's Winter Storm Helena Swell Gallery

This was one of my first times photographing sea smoke and it was an absolutely epic sight!

First light barrel in hard off-shore winds. 

Goofy footer Jude Clark on a sick left barrel 

Bodyboarder Chris Schlegel making his way across a snowy beach. 

Matthew Rooney getting some barrel time

More backlit beauty

A look to the north...

One of the few that got away that morning

Schlegy slotted in a rare right

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Update

Danae's Boyd Park Shoot

First Week of 2015!